Thursday, April 30, 2009

70

Ziggity Zop!



So my program is in it's final "check" stage. Which is definitely awesome since I've been working on it for a couple weeks/months/years. Well, the idea has always been there {floating in the back of my busy mind}, but finally putting my ideas down on paper and hashing them out with the one person that I know will support my endeavors through thick and thin- Ms. Sarah Lynne- finally has happened.

Our first project is Sat. at 6 pm. And hopefully the beginning to a bright, productive summer of service.

My program is called O.T.S. {Opportunities to Serve}. A website and blog will soon be available so that our progression can be tracked and documented. We thought we'd give it a couple test runs to make sure things are legit before reaching out to the rest of my community- so for now it just involves my closest friends and family. The point is "lifting where you stand", because I don't think that people put as much emphasis on community service as perhaps they might if opportunities where there {of if they knew how to find out about them}. I know that for me when I think of any kind of humanitarian aid I think of saving up the big bucks $$$ to fly to some 3rd world country and make a difference. I do this, and I will continue to do this {in fact I'm going to Israel for next years spring break to rebuild a monestary}- but not everybody has the funds, or drive, or resources that I do to make it happen { I have been truly blessed}. That doesn't mean that there isn't something that everyone can do- at home- which is where charity should start anyways.

It's all encompassing. Not just limited to cleaning up a particular highway, canyon or park. It includes the Humane Society, Blue Star Women, Boys and Girls Club/ Common Ground, CAPSA, DI, Temples/Churches {NOT just LDS}, Sunshine Terrace, the Hospital, Breaking Ground, Life, etc. It also includes educating people about recycling {conserving}, gardening, and ways to live a "green" lifestyle. I'm including the seminars because as good as it is to talk about recycling, or gardening, or going green- I don't think that people really understand what that means. I know I didn't until I started doing some intense research and the drive to be more conservative as increased dramatically since I now know how to apply it to myself and my family's lifestyle.

I've directed it towards my age group and generation- because I honestly believe that it will be us that makes the difference. And I think that my generation has a pretty unique desire to better the world and instead of just "surviving" to learn how to "thrive" with the resources that we have. I'm not sure how it will take off- as I said our launch project is at 6pm this Saturday. I'm nervouse and jittery because it's so important to me, and I hope I can somehow channel my sense of urgency across my small valley and "lift where I stand"- because I have the power to make that change. And who knows? I don't want to get ahead of myself but it would be a dream come true to have chapters started all over the state of Utah, or the Western United States, or the Nation itself. For now CV is enough.

It's all very exciting- and I know that most of the people that have helped me develop the program don't have blogger. But I want to thank my family for all the support that they've given me, and most of all Sarah Lynne- because without her unavailing support most of my pursuits, dreams and goals would not have become a reality { and this doesn't apply to this program alone}. Thank you so much! And I hope this summer is one of learning, growth, and love!

No comments:

Post a Comment