Thursday, September 17, 2009

156 (because I'm trying to keep my mind busy)

WARNING:

This entry won't make any sense (like that differs from the other ones right? .. yeah.. right.)

I'm supposed to come up with some controversial issues at large that my English class could write about. 3 of them. And for some reason I'm just... drawing a blank on how to accomplish this task. I can't structure sentences today.

I wanted to do something with Barrack Obama-nation. Muaha!
A question about a global "Easter Island"- I'll probably pose this one.
The 2003 Invasion of Iraq. ( I'd only bring this one up, because I'd personally like to know more about it)
Affirmative Action (maybe)
Assisted Suicide (that could be super interesting)
Carbon footprinting - though I feel I'd be the only one who cared in that class-
I'd love to try something with Glenn Beck
Native American name controversy...

At least I've got ... something right?


I just finished reading a paper and doing an online discussion about Anthrotourism. And I think that whoever came up with such a DA idea... should go.. well.. you guys get it. It talked alot about the Bushmanland tribes. And the whole idea is that people can pay big bucks to come "rough it" with the natives. I don't really see the point. Especially when the expedition includes taking a truck across the land, going trophy hunting, etc.. I don't know. It just reminded me alot of what happened with Aborigines in Australia. I don't really understand what it is about Western Culture that makes "us" think that everyone should be like us. Why can't we just leave people alone. These people have been around for thousands of years, living happily, doing their thing. Just like me and "you".

Dag. And wouldn't it be boring if we were all American anyways?? Shoot me. Twice. Then one more time. I say screw Anthrotourism. And Ethnocentrisms. People, pull yours head out of the ground and step off. *growls*

We're discussing this as a class tomorrow, and I'm really interested to see what people say. I was 1 of 5 people that had a different opinion on last weeks discussion about how "Agriculture is one of the worst mistakes invented". I totally agreed, and it was strange because I thought there would be a bunch that would feel the same. But no. There were only 4 others. We made some strong points though, and I'm not swayed at all. The more I research it, the more I believe it. I mean... I'm not saying let's all revert back to Foraging.... but I mean.. I think that eventually ( in thousands of years) it'll end up being like that anyways because foraging is sustainable... where... agriculture and consummerism ISN'T.

I don't know. None of that will happen in my life time. Easter Island is a long ways away.

Natural Disasters is...up and down. It was super cool, then we backtracked to Plate Tectonics and I got pissed. I've been learning about that since I was 7. Teach me something new! But it's actually been pretty sweet. Hold on LA and Istanbul.. you're on locked plates and we're the time margin of the "big one". Pretty sweet stuff. It's funny that we talk about Earthquakes and risks in one of the most unsafe buildings on campus. But at least it's near the Quad. Which is where I'd be bolting.

I learned that the nearest disaster shelter is the church down the road. And then the one in Logan. Pretty sweet. We developed a family plan and at least I know more about what to do if I ever DO find myself in that situation. If anything the quake will happen near the airport. Total LIQUEFACTION. That's going to be scary.....


Biology should be awesome next week. We're studying sea urchin reproduction! I've held one of those suckers and it was life changing! And weird! Bring it!

Sighs.
Anyways.

No comments:

Post a Comment