Friday, October 22, 2010

377

Okay okay, I KNOW. I've been posting heaps lately. I tend to go for a couple weeks with nothing new to report and then VA-freaking-BAM I have a ton to write about. And, just as a heads up, I'm pretty sure I'll be posting once more again later tonight. I've been working on a post entry for almost an entire day now, and it's just about complete so. Whatever. Don't judge.

Anyways. I've been trying to learn how to cook in the last several weeks. Not like I've done anything really amazing. I made 4 different kinds of bread the other day. And then I did this really awesome dessert that I was super proud of. Making those 2 salads I talked about earlier made me feel a little domestic (not gonna lie), and tonight I bought some things to try making the dessert that Scott and I had at the Hopkins the other night. It's about 100 calories and really fun to make so I'm gonna try tonight! But. I've been thinking about the whole.. me not eating enough vegetables and I think that's mostly because it's easy to get bored with vegetables (there's only so many things you can do with them if you can't cook, like me) but then I remembered the other night that Erika gave me this really cool list of vegetables and the spices and herbs that go well with them!

I wanted to share the list because I thought it was pretty sweet. You can add the S&H's when you steam the veggies, or roast them. And I suppose you could just sprinkle some of them on the veggies raw but.. here's the list:

Beets: Cinnamon, cloves
Broccoli: Lemon juice, dry mustard, toasted sesame seeds
Brussel sprouts (I love the brussels): lemon juice, marjoram
Cabbage ( I DON'T like cabbage): cumin, sage
Carrots: Dill, ginger nutmet
Cauliflower: Parsley, paprika
Greens (spinach, kale, chard): Garlic, marjoram, cinnamon
Peas: Oregano, tarragon
Pea pods or snow peas: Lemon juice, garlic
Peppers: Garlic, tomato sauce
Potatoes: Paprika, parsley, garlic, chives
Summer squash (zucchini, crookneck): Basil, garlic, oregano
Sweet potatoes: Cinnamon, cloves, ginger
Turnips or parsnips: Orange juice, ginger, parsley
Tomatoes: Basil, marjoram, oregano
Winter squash ( acorn, hubbard, butternut): allspice, cinnamon, oregano, toasted sage leaves.

Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment